Everything You Need to Know About CIS-CAT Pro
CIS-CAT Pro is the newest iteration of the popular and globally-used CIS-CAT. The updated CIS-CAT Pro has two components: CIS-CAT Pro Assessor and CIS-CAT Pro Dashboard. But perhaps the most powerful new feature of CIS-CAT Pro is the ability to assess individual CIS Benchmarks as mapped to the CIS Controls. CIS Benchmarks annotated with CIS Controls mappings include all applicable controls and sub controls for the specific benchmark. CIS is in the first phase of mapping the CIS Benchmarks to the CIS Controls – many more are on the way. In this release, CIS Controls annotations have been completed for the following CIS Benchmarks:
- CIS CentOS Linux 6 Benchmark
- CIS CentOS Linux 7 Benchmark
- CIS Google Chrome Benchmark
- CIS Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise Release 1607 Benchmark
- CIS Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (non-R2) Benchmark
- CIS Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Benchmark
- CIS Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (non-R2) Benchmark
- CIS Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Benchmark
- CIS Microsoft Windows Server 2016 RTM (Release 1607) Benchmark
- CIS Microsoft Windows 7 Workstation Benchmark
- CIS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Workstation Benchmark
- CIS Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Benchmark
- CIS Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Benchmark
CIS-CAT Pro Assessor
CIS-CAT Pro Assessor is a Java-based tool that scans against a target system’s configuration settings and reports the system’s compliance to the corresponding CIS Benchmark. CIS-CAT Pro Assessor typically scans in just a few minutes, saving users hours of tedious manual configuration review. CIS-CAT Pro Assessor also offers multiple reporting formats, including an HTML report which lets users quickly review noncompliant settings and remediation steps for achieving compliance to the benchmark recommendation.
CIS-CAT Pro Dashboard
An integrated component to CIS-CAT Pro Assessor is CIS-CAT Pro Dashboard. With all-new dashboarding functionality, CIS-CAT Pro Dashboard allows users to view system compliance to the CIS Benchmarks over a period of time with dynamic reporting features. CIS-CAT Pro Dashboard provides real-time views into users’ ecosystem performance, displaying CIS-CAT result scoring for target systems in a visually-pleasing, easy-to-read graph format. Users can sort data to view charts per CIS Benchmark or per device. Systems can also be tagged (for example, by department) in order to view system grouping compliance to CIS Benchmarks over time.
CIS-CAT Pro Assessor and CIS-CAT Pro Dashboard are both included in CIS-CAT Pro, which is only available with a CIS SecureSuite Membership.