Protect Your Children Online
Children present unique security risks when using a computer and often need advice, guidance, and protection. Talk to your children and let them know you can be approached with questions about behaviors or problems encountered on the computer. Teach your children how to safely use the computer and the Internet.
Tips to Reduce Security Risks to Your Child
- Keep your computer in a central and open location in your home, and be aware of other computers your child may be using.
- Discuss and set guidelines and rules for computer use with your child.
- Post these rules by the computer as a reminder.
- Use the Internet with your child. Familiarize yourself with your child's online activities, and maintain a dialogue with your child about what applications he or she is using.
- Implement parental control tools that are provided by some Internet Service Providers and available for purchase as separate software packages.
- Consider using software that allows you to monitor your child's email and web traffic.