CIS Recognizes Cybersecurity Awareness Month
Do Your Part. Be Cyber Smart.
In October in the United States, we recognize Cybersecurity Awareness Month, a concerted effort to raise awareness and increase our collective cyber defenses. The messages we send in October will be of interest to cybersecurity professionals worldwide: Wherever they are, and wherever their organizations happen to be on their cybersecurity journey.
Best Practice Solutions
CIS has been supporting our members as they work their way through today’s seismic changes. For example, we’ve shared several best practice guides for telework. These leverage the best practices in the CIS Controls and CIS Benchmarks, and information on real-world cyber threats from the CIS Security Operations Center (SOC).
In the CIS Community Defense Model (CDM), we took the best practices in the CIS Controls and mapped them to the MITRE ATT&CK model. Implementation Group 1 (IG1) of the CIS Controls is the very definition of basic cyber hygiene. IG1 mitigates against the top four attack patterns listed in the 2019 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR), including ransomware.
CIS also developed telework best practice guides to help employees to do their part to protect their organizations:
- Telework guidance for remote workforces in the CIS Controls Telework and Small Office Network Security Guide
- The CIS COVID-19 Resource Guide which includes information on how to watch out for COVID-19 related scams
- The CIS Password Policy Guide to create strong user authentication and help keep attackers out of systems
Resources for CIS SecureSuite Members
Along with these guides, available at no cost, our teams have been working to bring new and improved tools exclusively for CIS SecureSuite Members. These include:
- Release of CIS CSAT Pro to help with measurement of CIS Controls implementation
- Updates to CIS-CAT Pro Assessor with remote endpoint assessment capabilities
This combination of globally-recognized cybersecurity best practices and real-world cyber threat insights is what makes CIS SecureSuite Membership valuable for organizations around the world.