A Vulnerability in HP, Xerox, and Samsung Printer Drivers Could Allow Attackers to Gain Administrator Rights on a System
MS-ISAC ADVISORY NUMBER:2021-092
HP, Xerox and Samsung drivers which could result in local privilege escalation. A printer driver is a piece of system software that allows your computer to interact with your printer. This vulnerability specifically deals with an old printer driver from 2005 called SSPORT.SYS which affects hundreds of millions of devices and millions of users worldwide. Successful exploitation of this vulnerability might allow attachers to potentially install programs, view change, encrypt or delete data, or create new accounts with full user rights.
There are currently no reports of this vulnerability being exploited in the wild.
- Please refer to the reference section for the full list of systems affected for HP and Xerox
A vulnerability has been discovered in HP, Xerox, and Samsung printer drivers which could result in local privilege escalation. HP, Xerox, and Samsung are prone to a local privilege escalation vulnerability that could allow a user with basic user privileges to elevate their privileges to SYSTEM and run code in kernel mode, potentially bypassing security products that would block their attacks or the delivery of additional malicious payloads. Successfully exploiting this vulnerability (SSPORT.SYS) might allow attackers to potentially install programs, view, change, encrypt or delete data, or create new accounts with full user rights.
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Apply the latest patches provided by HP and Xerox
- Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
- Remind users not to visit un-trusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or un-trusted sources.
- Inform and educate users regarding the threats posed by hypertext links contained in emails or attachments especially from un-trusted sources.
- Apply the Principle of Least Privilege to all systems and services.