Remote Assessment comes to CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4
CIS recently announced its latest update to the CIS-CAT Pro configuration assessment tool. CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4 provides new features and functionality. In order to access CIS-CAT Pro, your organization must be a CIS SecureSuite Member. (Not a member? Enroll today.)
New and Notable
Below is a quick review of what’s new in CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4:
- Remote assessment through the Command Line Interface (CLI): You asked, we delivered! CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4 allows users to assess remote endpoints via the command line. Remotely assess Windows endpoints using WinRM and an “ephemeral” agent, and Unix/Linux systems using an SSH-based connection.
- Report integration with CIS-CAT Pro Dashboard: CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4 pairs with the newly-updated CIS-CAT Pro Dashboard to show system compliance over time. Sort and view assessment results by compliance type, department, or any other category using the custom tagging feature. Set up alerts to be notified whenever your assessment scores drop.
- Secure content support: CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4 supports Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP) 1.2 data-stream collections, XCCDF 1.2-based content, and OVAL Definitions files, such as inventory and vulnerability definitions.
This robust update to CIS-CAT Pro is available to download via CIS WorkBench.
Which version of CIS-CAT Pro Assessor is right for me?
CIS will continue to support CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v3. We encourage you to use the version that works best for you. Both v3 and v4 require an accessible Java Runtime Environment (JRE). CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v3 requires 1.6 or later, while CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4 requires 1.8 or later.
- Graphical User Interface (GUI) vs. Command Line Interface (CLI): CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4 is only available through the CLI. If you prefer a more graphical interface, you’ll want to stick with CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v3 for now.
- CIS Benchmark coverage: At release, CIS-CAT Pro Assessor v4 can be used with a selection of more than 60 CIS Benchmarks. See the CIS-CAT Pro Assessor Coverage Guide for the most up-to-date information regarding platform coverage.