A Vulnerability in WordPress WP GDPR Compliance Plugin Could Allow for Arbitrary Code Execution
MS-ISAC ADVISORY NUMBER:2018-127
A vulnerability has been discovered in the WordPress WP GDPR Compliance Plugin that could allow for arbitrary code execution. WordPress is a web-based publishing application implemented in PHP, and the WP GDPR Compliance Plugin assists website owners with the European privacy regulations known as GDPR. Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow for arbitrary code execution with elevated privileges.
A Proof-of-Concept has been developed by the researchers who discovered this vulnerability to demonstrate this issue. There are reports of this actively being exploited in the wild in November 2018.
- WordPress WP GDPR Compliance Plugin 1.4.2 and prior
- Large and medium government entities: HIGH
- Small government entities: MEDIUM
- Large and medium business entities: HIGH
- Small business entities: MEDIUM
A vulnerability has been discovered in the WordPress WP GDPR Compliance Plugin that could allow for arbitrary code execution. This vulnerability exists because it fails to properly sanitize the 'save_setting' action. An attacker can exploit this issue by injecting arbitrary commands, which get stored until the plugin reaches its 'do_action()' call. Successful exploits may allow an attacker to gain administrative access to the site and make direct changes, including uploading malicious plugins for future attacks. Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow for arbitrary code execution with elevated privileges.
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Apply appropriate updates provided by WordPress manually to affected systems, immediately after appropriate testing.
- Apply the Principle of Least Privilege to all systems and services.
- Verify no unauthorized system modifications have occurred on system before applying patch.
- Monitor intrusion detection systems for any signs of anomalous activity.
- Unless required, limit external network access to affected products.