Scrum Master / Coach
The Scrum Master/Coach will work within the Agile Program Office at the Center for Internet Security. Reporting to the Sr. Director- Agile Program Office, the Scrum Master/Coach serves as a key proponent of the organization’s Agile initiative. This role will support the organization on agility at all levels, in the servant-leader tradition. The Scrum Master/Coach will educate and mentor about Agile values, principles, and best practices while cultivating a cohesive, collaborative, and responsive work environment. In addition, this role will guide teams to proactively consider, asses, and plan for risks, dependencies and impediments that are detrimental to a sustainable and efficient delivery of products and services. CIS is seeking an experienced individual to enhance our current Agile practice and champion delivering value to our customers.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Educate, guide, and mentor about Agile values, principles and practices.
- Engage with Agile teams and guide them through a journey of Agile adoption. Take immature Agile teams and teach the skills and practices to develop self-sufficiency and maturity.
- Utilize agile practices in a flexible manner that includes project management, and adapting to the specific needs of the organization (which can include hard deadlines / fixed dates at times).
- Enable teams to realize their mission and deliver on their initiatives.
- Coach task and goal completion without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Cultivate positive, team-centric dynamics and self-organization.
- Foster a trusting and safe environment with an emphasis of problem solving.
- Continually evaluate Agile maturity, and coach to higher levels of maturity at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- Facilitate root-cause analysis, decision-making, and conflict resolution.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as needed to achieve team mission and goals.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Cybersecurity, or related field
- First level Scrum Master certification (e.g., Certified Scrum Master, Professional Scrum Master I)
- 2+ years’ experience serving in the Scrum Master / Coach role for multiple teams that followed Agile values, principles, and practices. Must include teams with no prior Agile experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and practical experience coaching teams in Agile approaches including Kanban, Lean, Scrum, XP, FDD, etc.
- The Scrum Master / Coach will work with individuals and teams in person to the extent possible, and will live within a reasonable commuting distance from the company headquarters located in East Greenbush, NY.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
*Additional years of relevant experience or a combination of an Associate’s degree or equivalent and relevant experience may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree.
It's a Plus if You Have:
- Second level Scrum Master Certification (Advanced Certified Scrum Master, Professional Scrum Master II).
- Agile Coaching certification.
- Lean and/or Kanban certification.
- Experience serving in the Scrum Master / Coach role for 4+ years for multiple teams that followed Agile values, principles, and practices.
- Previous experience as a team lead or related senior position of responsibility.
- Experience with Atlassian Tools (JIRA, Confluence, Service Desk).
Must be able to:
- Drive innovation by providing active coaching to support colleagues and/or team members in reframing problems and adapting approaches to solve problems either independently or within work team.
- Manage projects simultaneously, producing work related to multiple projects & processes.
- Communicate effectively with strong verbal communication & presentation skills; effectively adjusting written and verbal communication styles to different audiences; listen for understanding.
- Manage change and promote adaptability, encouraging colleagues and team members to align work within a dynamic work environment.
- Take responsibility by creating a culture of accountability through communicating clear goals (associated with project management), objectives, time frames, and expected levels of effort; provide recognition and feedback; actively address any issues in a timely manner.
The CIS Offer
- A culture that is engaging, fun and energetic
- An organization that supports Work/Life balance
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401K plan with company match
- Bonding and military leave
- Paid time off upon date of hire
- Tuition and certification reimbursement
- Relocation assistance
- On-site wellness programs
- Community involvement opportunities
- An environment that promotes growth and professional development including our award-winning training opportunities